Thursday, July 1, 2010

Happy 2 weeks Cameron Blake Firebaugh

Cameron Blake Firebaugh arrived 2 weeks ago, Thursday, June 17th at 9:32am via C-section.
When we went to the dr. on Tuesday, June 15th to see Dr. McKenzie, I was 40 weeks & 2 days. He checked me and said I was 2-3 real change. He asked if I wanted him to strip my membranes to try to get something going and I said sure. This process caused him to question Cameron's position so we were off to the ultrasound room. My mom was able to meet up with us for Cameron's last ultrasound to determine that she was breech. Dr. McKenzie talked with us about her positioning and what could happen next. He told us about the process of the version (method used to turn babies into head down position) and as I listened I thought that I would be interested in giving it a try. We checked the calendar and the best version dr (Dr. Harden) was scheduled for Thursday at the hospital so we planned to attempt the version, then if successful move onto induction and if not, then c-section. The ultrasound told us that she was 8lb 6oz (+ or - 1lb). My nurse reassured me that if anyone was turning my baby, that it was Dr. Harden. I left feeling ok but yet overwhelmed by this new shocking news. Dr. McKenzie told me there was a 50% chance that she could be turned and obviously it would be more difficult if she was on the bigger side. I left the office and we went to dinner with my mom. I called a friend on the way and cried a little...not much. And to come to think of it, I hardly cried in the days leading up to the trip to the hospital (though I really wanted to!). On Tuesday night, I stayed up reading and watching videos about the version and c-section. I have always feared the c-section bc of the recovery...and now here I was...having to get one myself.
The night before, we met my mom for a final dinner at Ragazzi's since I wasn't going to be having many good meals in the coming days. Then we sent Carter onto spend the night with my parents. We didn't go to sleep until around midnight and got up around 5:15 to be at the hospital at 7:30am. My mom met us there and luckily she did, bc I couldn't remember where I packed my memory card.
So we were off to Triage to get ready for the version. I was the only patient this morning and we had lots of nurses volunteering their services. Everyone was great! Dr. Harden checked Cameron again to make sure she hadn't turned into the correct position on her own and then we started to show. (Side note: all the nurses said Dr. Harden was the dr to turn babies!)...

No comments: